On Wed, 2021-08-11 at 14:20 +0200, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> * Stephen Snow [11/08/2021 11:37] :
> >
> > I feel the frustration you are expressing, and would like to help,
> > nut
> > apparently I don't meet the Fedora Packaging standards.
>
> I'm curious as to what happened...
Not sure what happened really, I had asked via this email list a few
times over the past to become a package maintainer of a couple of
orphaned java related packages, and got no response. I couldn't use the
take button as it noted I didn't have the rights to do it (still that
way on Pagure for me).

> > Even tried the review route, which is also beset with arbitrary
> > obstacles.

Wasn't able to download the build via the link provided.

> Again, what happened? Can you point us to those reviews?
>
> > I will keep trying because that is in my nature, but making joining
> > the
> > packaging group(s) a bit more open would go a long way to garnering
> > more
> > packagers IMO.
>
> What changes to the process would you like to see made?

Please see my repsonse to Vitaly. I think the barrier to getting into
this should be far lower as regarding the following ...
-New contributor asks for sponsorship, someone able to gives it
-new contributor is now a packager and can "take" any orphaned package
-new contributor fails as packager after one release cycle, times out
for one more release cycle before allowed to try to contribute again.
-or new contributor does well, with handholding, and continues the
learning process
- or they do great, and need no handholding, and take on more work load
readily

I really would like to point to how easy it is to become an editor of
Fedora Magazine as an example of the ease with which contributors
should be onboarded.

As one more note from me on this, the packaging guidelines are an
evolved document from years of best practices and failures. Maybe it is
time to rethink the guidelines and particularly the entrance criteria
to reflect today's Fedora Linux.

Regards,
Stephen