On 8/11/21 6:31 AM, Iñaki Ucar wrote:
Hi,

This is so annoying. Recently, I've been experimenting
software-initiated shutdowns in my laptop (LG Gram) due to sudden
temperature rises in which the fan doesn't catch up and doesn't reach
maximum speed. In the journal, I see:

   kernel: thermal thermal_zone0: acpitz: critical temperature reached,
shutting down

Adding myself as another example, Running on a ThinkPad Extreme 2nd Gen, same shutdown and kernel log

Aug 13 11:07:53 kernel: thermal thermal_zone0: acpitz: critical temperature reached, shutting down Aug 13 11:07:53 kernel: thermal thermal_zone0: acpitz: critical temperature reached, shutting down

Never happened before on this laptop running Fedora since I bought it.

thermald is enabled but quits itself with:

[/sys/devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/dytc_lapmode] present: Thermald can't run on this platform

It must be the Lenovo firmware update that now make thermald unnecessary, I even used dptfxtract. I didn't notice before that thermald was quitting. The firmware now implement some kind of thermal control, but the latest firmware was updated many months ago, and that Lenovo change is from last year if IIRC.

I wasn't doing anything intensive at the moment, not that I noticed, some light text editing.

I will monitor if it happen again.

They happen as follows. When the laptop is still cool (e.g., recently
powered up), if I launch some compilation task, which is quite CPU
demanding, then the temperature rises quickly and I hear that the CPU
fan speeds up too slowly, so slowly that the critical temperature is
reached and the laptop shuts down. However, if the laptop was already
medium-hot due to other tasks, then the CPU fan catches up and reaches
maximum speed quickly, so the temperature is controlled.

This wasn't happening before, and I'm guessing that maybe some default
kernel thermal parameters have changed recently? (This is replicable
at least with all the kernels currently installed: 5.13.4, 5.13.5,
5.13.8). I see that the thermal policy is step_wise in some thermal
zones, and user_space in others (there are 8). I'll be happy to
provide more info if anyone has any clue on how to debug and/or fix
this.

Regards,
--
Iñaki Úcar