On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 8:57 PM przemek klosowski via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On 8/23/21 5:49 AM, Alexander Sosedkin wrote:
> > Sure. Crypto-policies are there to give you control of what's enabled,
> > ideally what's enabled by default.
> >
> > 1) There's a blanket `update-crypto-policies --set LEGACY`
> > 2) There's a possibility to reenable disabled algorithms with custom
> > policies,
> >     allowing to go even lower than LEGACY (which you
> >     shouldn't really do on public networks, but who's there to stop you)
> > 3) (F35+) There's a possibility to reenable algorithms per backends,
> >     say, for NSS, Java or krb5 only
> > 4) (In an ideal world) crypto-policies settings should act as defaults,
> >     meaning apps should be able to further modify them,
> >    offer weaker methods with a warning, etc
> It's not ideal if one obsolete website forces downgrading the security
> potentially for all the connections. I hope 5) is addressing that.

That's something apps and only apps can handle.

> > 5) There are total per-backend opt-out mechanisms / procedures
> What is the 'backend' in this context? Since the protocol downgrades are
> required by obsolete endpoints to which we're trying to connect, you're
> suggesting 'per IP' or 'per-subnet' opt-out, right? Does it require
> creating separate network interfaces and custom routes?

Slow down.
"Backend" = component crypto-policies generates configuration for:
openssl, krb5, java to name a few.
`ls /etc/crypto-policies/back-ends`
If apps want to do something per IP, subnet, domain etc,
they need to handle the required downgrades themselves.
Crypto-policies are just for setting defaults system-wide
in a uniform fashion by controlling configuration files.
Thus narrow deviations from these defaults are way out of scope.