Greetings,

Some months ago, I announced [0] that I will move the package maintainer docs from wiki to docs.fedoraproject.org. I am happy to announce that this task is complete and the docs are public in their new location now [1]. Hopefully, this will allow existing and new packagers to find relevant documentation more easily, and foster more concentrated efforts to make it better.

Let me explain how the docs are set up now. I worked mainly alone to get the actual move done. From this point on, I hope that maintenance is done by all package maintainers collectively, similarly to how the wiki documentation was under shared ownership. This also means that everything here is a draft, open for changes based on your feedback. Comments are welcome!

The imported content was selected by going through wiki category Package Maintainers [2] and choosing the pages that seemed useful. In general, the pages were imported without modification, however in some cases there were such serious issues that I did some editing.

Going forward, documentation for package maintainers should be added to this repo, instead of wiki. There is an issue for replacing the imported wiki pages with pointers to the new urls [3] which will be done soon. Policies, guidelines and other material owned by FESCo or the Packaging Committee is excluded from this repository and is handled like before.

One change that moving from wiki to a Git repository at pagure.io brings is access control. I would like to allow all members of the 'packager' group, but unfortunately that group is not visible at pagure.io. So instead I wrote this in the README, to serve as a basis for iterating a good solution:

All changes to the documentation is intended to happen through pull
requests. However, following the spirit of earlier wiki based
documentation, the documentation is intended to be maintainer
collectively by all Fedora packagers.

Due to technical issues, the packager group from Fedora Account
System cannot be granted access, so there is a separate group
package-maintainer-docs with commit access. Membership is granted to
any packager requesting it. Please file an issue in the repository if
you want to join.

If you have any interest in the docs at all, I hope you file an issue for membership, or just reply to this mail and I will add you.

Currently, I am the maintainer of the repository. There are four other people listed as admins: pingou, mattdm, kevin, codeblock. This list of a leftover from an older, unpublished iteration of the docs. To my understanding, none of these people have expressed interest in maintaining the repository, for whatever tasks there may be that cannot be handled by the committer group. So, I plan to remove everybody but myself. Naturally, to avoid non-responsive admins situation, there should be more than one admin. If you are interested, please let me know an I will add you.

Otto

[0]: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/4UPDUFVHULLELBKSOYJ233WU3E4BCGYI/
[1]: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/package-maintainers/
[2]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Package_Maintainers