On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 12:53:55PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> This is an off-shoot thought of the 32-bit ARM conversation. Right now, we
> build stuff like libreoffice for i686, but then (mostly) don't ship it.
> This seems like a waste of resources and time.
>
> I know it's somewhat complicated (for example, there's actually a library
> package in libreoffice, libreofficekit, so that gets plucked in to
> multilib), and there's quite a lot to work out, but ... does this seem like
> a good intended direction?
>
> One immediate way to do this is to start adding `ExcludeArch: i686` to
> "leaf" packages (I mean: to allow / encourage people to do that). But I
> don't want to add _more_ cruft to the standard minimal spec file, so this
> seems like the wrong direction. And I still think we want to keep multilib
> for compatibility (hello, old games!). Could we do something clever in koji
> instead?

Building nbdkit (not a library) for i686 recently revealed a build
problem on 32 bit platforms.  i686 and armv7 are the only 32 bit
platforms left.

https://gitlab.com/nbdkit/nbdkit/-/commit/fe6538aafe5f8d6fc6b90ae8f6d3686c711288fd

Martin:

Can we add 32 bit to the upstream CI?  You don't actually need a 32
bit environment to test it, you can do this instead:
  export CFLAGS="-g -O2 -m32"
  export CXXFLAGS="-g -O2 -m32"
  export LDFLAGS="-g -O2 -m32"
  ./configure