On 31. 08. 21 18:53, Matthew Miller wrote:
This is an off-shoot thought of the 32-bit ARM conversation. Right now, we
build stuff like libreoffice for i686, but then (mostly) don't ship it.
This seems like a waste of resources and time.

I know it's somewhat complicated (for example, there's actually a library
package in libreoffice, libreofficekit, so that gets plucked in to
multilib), and there's quite a lot to work out, but ... does this seem like
a good intended direction?

One immediate way to do this is to start adding `ExcludeArch: i686` to
"leaf" packages (I mean: to allow / encourage people to do that). But I
don't want to add _more_ cruft to the standard minimal spec file, so this
seems like the wrong direction. And I still think we want to keep multilib
for compatibility (hello, old games!). Could we do something clever in koji
instead?

I am replying overall to this thread, not just to the initial proposal.

We could:

1. Gather the list of i686 packages in the x86_64 repos (trivial)
2. Get their components (trivial)
3. Expand their entire BuildRequires tree to a list of components
   (complex, but we could use the content resolver for this, as we do for ELN)
4. Feed that list to Koji as a i686-list (unknown complexity)
5. Stop building anything else for i686 (unknown complexity)

There are however two challenges I see:

1) It will be incredible hard to add new i686 packages with more complex dependency trees, especially when the deps are already included in Fedora but not built for i686. Or when something existing grows a new dependency.

2) Somebody would need to take care of the list and the content resolver and help add/bootstrap new packages manually.

So it goes back to -- is it worth to burn people-energy on this when we can just burn machine-energy?

--
Miro Hrončok