Hi,

Recently, there have been a lot of discussions on this list as well as we have internally about onboarding. During our internal brainstorming, we were initially discussing that it could be useful to have some package one can experiment with without being too much worried about the result.

However, discussing this back and forth, we figured that it might also be good idea to actually have something such as "onboarding" package, where new coming package maintainer could gradually gain experience with the packaging workflows. So the simplest tasks could be:

1) Add changelog entry into onboarding package and open PR with the change. This would not require too many privileges. Alternatively this could include change to "CONTRIBUTORS" file. I suspect that also some current Fedora contributors might be interested to send such PR ;)

2) Second step could be something similar, but that would require the packager to be already sponsored and they could go through the whole process themeselves just with some light guidance if needed.

This could be extended in the future. E.g. next step could be:

3) Submit module update.

Apart from gaining experience, this could also help with the common question "where should I start". And of course our sponsoring guidelines could be refreshed suggesting/requesting to take these steps at some point.

Thoughts?

Vít