On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 3:07 PM Kevin Fenzi <ke...@scrye.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 04, 2021 at 01:03:27PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > Hi all! I just got back from Open Source Summit, several of the talks I
> > found interesting were on RISC-V -- a high-level one about the
> > organizational structure, and Drew Fustini's more technical talk.
> >
> > In that, he noted that there's a Fedora build *, but it isn't an official
> > Fedora arch. As I understand it, the major infrastructure blocker is simply
> > that there isn't server-class hardware (let alone hardware that will build
> > fast enough that it isn't a frustrating bottleneck).
>
> We have avoided using emulation in the past because we would be chasing
> bugs in our emulation that aren't in real hardware and vice versa.
> How good is the emulation support? Do we know/have people who can fix
> things in it when we hit them? Tools folks: is emulation an option here?
> Or do we still forbid it?
>
> > So, one question is: if we used, say, ARM or x86_64 Amazon cloud instances
> > as builders, could we build fast enough under QEMU emulation to work? We
> > have a nice early advantage, but if we don't keep moving, we'll lose that.
> >
> > But beyond that: What other things might be limits? Are there key bits of
> > the distro which don't build yet? Is there a big enough risc-v team to
> > respond to arch-specific build failures? And, do we have enough people to do
> > QA around release time?
>
> Well, one big thing is that it's been a while since we had any secondary
> arches and it's unclear how they would work today. In the distant past
> secondary arches had their own koji and builders and composes and
> releases and used koji-shadow to try and match up with primary koji.
> This was basically more than a full time job for someone and I am sure
> koji-shadow has atrophied in recent years, but perhaps at least some
> subset could be made to work again.
>
> On the other hand we could just add it into primary koji, but then it
> really really has to keep up or it's going to block everything else.
>
> So, probibly a 'secondary' koji and builders to start with to bootstrap
> and to gather info on how hard it is to keep up and good emulation is
> would be worthwhile, but it's gonna need some dedicated work.
>
> Perhaps we could get a up to date status report from folks working on
> this, answering such questions as:
>
> * How good is emulation support

The lack of real hardware for RISC-V has made it so almost everyone is
working with emulation. It's not realistic right now to work with real
hardware.

> * What would it take to keep up with the other arches? Is that possible?

The real hardware options do not have the performance to keep up with
the other architectures.

> * What device(s) would we want to target and could we get sufficent
> numbers of them for QA and devel folks to debug problems and test?

This is probably more of a question for Fedora RISC-V folks like
Richard W.M. Jones...

> * Are there folks who can bootstrap/shepard the koji shadowing process?

We already have the other Koji instance that could be converted into a
shadow Koji, couldn't it?