On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 05:45:47PM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> They *can* physically, but doing both together would get very silly.
> I'd meant "do one or the other". The current model of "install
> ansible, get a few Megabytes of material you actually use that is
> almost entirely in ansible-core and 576 Megabytes of bulky material,
> more than 90% of which you will never use" is awkward, and I'd much
> rather see the galaxy collection packages published, and remain,
> distinct. Discard the "ansible" package as an unwelcome approach, it's
> too big and too confusing.

Then don't install it? For others it's comforting and welcome.
"Hey, I can install all this stuff and it will be available if I want to
use it, great!"

...snip...

> What, then, about the existing
> ansible-collection-ansible-netcommon-2.2.0-1.fc35.src.rpm and the
> like? Would those be swept up as part of the "ansible" package? I'd

no.

> dislike that, and if we or the current maintainers can keep them
> separate, it presrves the groundwork for a much more modular and much,
> much smaller ansible deployment.

collections can be packaged seperately. If you install 'ansible' and
some seperate collections thats just fine. The seperate collections will
be the version that gets used. So you can even up/downgrade from the
version in 'ansible' if you want.

If you want to install ansible-core and seperate specific collections
you need, great, do that.

...snip...

kevin