>> The Change proposal is not very clear in this regard… Please correct me
> if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that there's a giant SRPM which
> produces a giant 'ansible' binary package. In addition there's a second
> small SRPM which produces the 'ansible-core' binary package.
>
> Right:
>
> https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/9b/ed/5a6149a7e0314bfb99fd496781f84a96328e0eb0a85f5cb845c25fcb909a/ansible-4.7.0.tar.gz
> (36MB)
> https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/be/1a/f40e97f4c400eec75813bc492f1d6226cd413bf03f88d5f00070a1e699a3/ansible-core-2.11.6.tar.gz
> (7MB)

Another worthwhile datapoint might be the size of the ansible 2.9.x tarball
which is still shipped with "batteries included" (though with less content than
ships with >=4.x):

https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/5b/99/ce005d0314840e1a6eef34e0faf0ba4f7bccd8172b33cc84fee21afab7ad/ansible-2.9.27.tar.gz
 (14.8 MB)

I must also point out that we are not satisfied with the size of the tarball
either and that we have been trying to address it -- not just because of the
size itself but because it has installation performance implications.

Our attempts have been held back due to legal/licensing uncertainty around
removing what we deem unnecessary files from the release tarballs and we are
trying to do the right thing by clearing it through legal first. It takes time
but we're in good faith actively trying to improve things, not make them worse.

If you would like to stay up to date on that particular topic, you can
subscribe to this issue:
https://github.com/ansible-community/community-topics/issues/29