On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 8:42 PM Major Hayden <ma...@mhtx.net> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> As much as I try not to, I sometimes forget to backport a package that I
> manage.
>
> For example, Google's Python SDK updates rather frequently and I usually
> bring those changes into rawhide fairly quickly. The SDK is made up of
> plenty of different packages that release at different times. Mondays
> are usually the day when I take all of the most recent updates, test
> them out together, and backport the updates to the most recent stable
> version.
>
> However, I sometimes miss one or two of these packages. It's usually not
> a big deal since I might process another update for that package within
> a week or two. I'd like to get better with this and somehow identify
> which package updates made it into rawhide without getting backported.
>
> Do we have any tools to help with this now? I was looking at potentially
> writing my own scripts to do this but it would involve a *lot* of calls
> to mdapi and that's probably not the most infrastructure-friendly
> option. My goal is to look across my packages and find the ones with a
> version mismatch from rawhide to stable.
>
> Thanks for reading this far and for any ideas you might have. 🤗

I don't really have a solution here, but I'd be interested in looking
at this problem.

For example, most* [1] packages in the Rust stack will have (and
should! have) the same versions across all supported Fedora branches.
For any Rust packages that I push updates for, I update them right
away across all branches, and that works very well to prevent me from
forgetting things.
However, any "newcomers" (or contributors who are more easily
distracted than me) will often mess that up, making it hard for me
(main Rust stack maintainer right now) to keep things aligned when I
update other packages.

[1]: some package sets contain non-self-contained breaking changes,
for example the latest gtk-rs bindings are only available on Fedora
35+

Fabio