On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 02:15:49PM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RetireARMv7
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:pbrobinson| Peter Robinson]]
> * Email: <pbrobin...@fedoraproject.org>
>
> == Detailed Description ==
>
> The ARMv7 arm architecture was the second variant of the arm
> architecture that Fedora has supported, the first was ARMv5, the third
> is aarch64. The proposal is to retire ARMv7 as part of the Fedora 37
> release. This will allow ARMv7/armhfp to be supported until the Fedora
> 36 end of life in around June 2023.
>
> Overall arm32 is generally waning with generally few new ARMv7 devices
> added to Fedora in recent releases. To add to that a number of newer
> Fedora features designed to improve speed and security of the Fedora
> release are causing 32 bit architectures in general primarily due to

"issues" or "problems" seems to be missing in this sentence.

> the process memory limit when linking large applications. The
> ARMv7/armhfp is the last fully supported 32 bit architecture, we still
> currently build i686 packages, but it's not shipped as artefacts.

"it's" → "they are"?

> == User Experience ==
> Any current users of Fedora on ARMv7 devices won't be able to upgrade
> to Fedora 37, they will have to stay on Fedora 36 until it's EOL.

Please add "and will have to retire the hardware or move to a different
distribution afterwards". Explicit is good.

> == Release Notes ==
>
> Fedora Linux 37 with the ARMv7 architecture is retired into the
> sunset. There will definitely be celebrations, there will likely be
> some that shed some tears! Overall for the maintainers it will likely
> be seen as a net win, for the few, generally shrinking, users it's
> probably a net loss but they can probably just go and buy a Raspberry
> Pi Zero 2W for US$15. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Based on the countme graphs that mattdm has been showing, the fraction
on arm32 systems is very very small. And arm32 has been a drag on
maintainer resources, with the slow builds and timeouts. Dropping the
arch will not be without some pain for the people using those boards,
but I think it's the right thing to do for the distro. And the whole
thing will happen more then a year from now, and by that time the
number of those arm32 boards will be even lower.

Zbyszek