On Tuesday, November 23, 2021 7:11:31 PM EST Maxwell G wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday, November 23, 2021 1:37:36 PM CST Steve Grubb wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am preparing to migate a F35 system to new hardware and was sanity
> > checking the whole system. One thing I found was that there are a number
> > of system directories that that are not owned by the package that uses
> > them:
> >
> > /var/cache/ibus
> > /var/cache/PackageKit
> > /var/cache/cups
> > /var/log/anaconda
> > /var/lib/tpm2-tss
> > /var/lib/machines
> > /var/lib/hsqldb
> > /var/lib/cs
> > /var/lib/rpcbind
> > /var/lib/portables
> > /etc/module-build-service
> > /etc/default
> > /etc/pesign
> > /etc/ipa
> > /etc/ndctl
> > /etc/flatpak
>
> Yes,  I have also noticed issues with directory ownership. However, I am
> not sure what the rules are about packages owning directories under
> `/var/cache` or `/var` in general.  I can tell you that the `filesystem`
> package owns `/var/cache` itself:

If they use it, they should declare it. Otherwise how do you know what you
can safely rm -rf  ?  If you have migrated a system over many releases, this
is important so that you know what can safely be deleted.

> ```
> $ rpm -qf /var/cache
> filesystem-3.14-7.fc35.x86_64
 ```

Top level ownership is not good enough because we have to be able to
determine what is in use now vs what I can delete.

> There are also some directories that are owned by multiple packages, e.g.
> shell completions packages[1,2], instead of none at all.

That is a separate problem.

> > Should there be a gating or other test that catches this?
>
> I think there should be. For your reference, here[3,4] are the sections of
> the Fedora Packaging Guidelines surrounding directory ownership.

I think either rpmlint and/or gating should verify ownership. There is a
problem  of common ownership. But as long as someone owns it, this helps to
know if we can rm -rf the directory.

-Steve