The top-level hash is calculated for each file, then that hash is signed with
the inputted rsa key pair and the signed hash is appended to the array of
signed hashes in the rpm metadata. I am guessing the way we worded the proposal
is a little unclear because we call it "the" signature when it's one rpm
metadata item that's an array of the signatures.

fs-verity the kernel feature operates on a per-file basis, and since the
ultimate goal is to deliver fs-verity enabled files on the installer's system,
we need each file's signature in the rpm. At install, we call the fs-verity
enable ioctl for each file, passing in its signature to make use of the kernel
authentication functionality.

I'm happy to explain the exact flow at signing and at install in more detail if
that would be helpful.

Boris