After seeing this proposal I tried playing with Noto Sans Mono.  I
find that while it comes with many weights, none look right to me.
Language is English.

I'm testing in emacs.  My usual default is Source code sans semibold
and I find that very pleasing.  I also tried Dejavu Sans Mono
semibold, which looks very similar.  But if I try Noto Sans Mono, no
weight looks right.  Medium is too light, and the next weight,
semibold, is too heavy.

--
Those who don't understand recursion are doomed to repeat it