On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 10:18 PM Ben Cotton <bcot...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 2:29 PM Fabio Valentini <decatho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > - create a ticketing system for idea / text submissions (project with
> > issue tracker on pagure?)
> > - there, Fedora contributors can propose their cool new features /
> > packages for inclusion in the next article
> > - person / small group of people curate submissions, put together a
> > final article, and propose it for Fedora Magazine
> >
> > I admit that this *does* sound better than "yet-another-mailing-list",
> > though it's probably more work :)
>
> The work (assuming we're just interested in new packages) could be
> shortcut a bit by looking at the SCM requests repo:
> https://pagure.io/releng/fedora-scm-requests/issues
>
> This only gives you the new packages, not any useful text, which the
> maintainer might be better positioned to provide. Although you could
> just use the Description: from the spec file. But one person could
> probably put this together for the month in a relatively short time.
>
> Of course, if we want to include stuff beyond "here's the new
> packages", this breaks down. The ticket system approach is probably
> the best in that case, but the hard part is going to get people to
> remember to add to it.

Yeah, but just looking at "new" packages probably won't be enough
(whether getting the data from fedora-scm-requests, bodhi, or compose
reports, etc.). There's just too much low-level stuff getting added
all the time (and by that I mean packaging of new library
dependencies, to keep all applications happy and up-to-date), but most
of those "new" packages are not interesting to users at all.

Still, I'd hope that most people who worked on some cool new feature
for Fedora would want people to know about it? Opening a ticket to get
it included in a "Cool new stuff in Fedora this $MONTH" listicle seems
like a low barrier to get things out "to the world".

Fabio