Hi Kevin,

On Mon, Dec 27, 2021, at 11:50 AM, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:

> But being allowed to run custom or self-developed software is a core feature
> of Free Software. If that stops working in the name of "security", Fedora is
> no better than iOS (where Apple also claims the restrictions are for
> "security" purposes), and becomes entirely useless for me.

This blog entry I did a while ago touches on this:
https://blog.verbum.org/2019/12/23/starting-from-open-and-foss/

I am obviously speaking for myself there, but I know at least some others on
the Fedora CoreOS team agree.

It's funny because I have had to near-constantly battle the concept that Fedora
CoreOS is somehow out to "restrict" people.  Opinionated?  Yes.  But you can
still replace the kernel, build from source, etc.

As the blog says, I think the only sane thing to do with file/partition
integrity systems like this is to make them supported by Fedora to deploy for
custom builds.  Now there's a whole huge topic here that it's *really hard* to
make a system that is both e.g. an ISO you can stick in and install easily
*and* offer the whole toolbox of build (and CI!) tools as a "product" to users.

But anyways, it's good that you raise this point and concern, but there's no
reason for you to worry.