On Fri, Jan 07, 2022 at 11:43:15PM +0200, Otto Urpelainen wrote:

> I can give a couple of reasons why just using the packager-sponsors tracker
> always would be better. This is from the point of view of somebody who had
> to find a sponsor. I am not a sponsor myself, so I do not really know this
> looks from that side.
>
> 1. The process is currently so complicated that newcomers are frequently
> confused and dissuaded by it. Having just a single way would make it
> simpler. Of these two options, the single way would have to be the tracker,
> because the FE-NEEDSPONSOR method only works for new package submissions.
>
> 2. In the tracker, you can write your "letter of application" in the
> description, and add all the proof you have. So you can first evaluate
> yourself, gather more proof if you think it will be needed, and only submit
> an application when you feel you are ready. For FE-NEEDSPONSOR, it is not so
> clear. The same thing can be done in the review request comments, of course.
> But then the review request and the sponsorship request get mixed up, but
> actually they are two different things.
>
> 3. It may be just my impression, but the system of adding the FE-NEEDSPONSOR
> link feels a bit like "don't call us, we'll call you". Saying that you can
> file an issue and it will be looked at feels more friendly and inviting.

Sure, I agree with all of that. However, If everyone who wanted to be
added to packager was told to file a issue, I am not at all sure we
can promise 'it would be looked at'. All the packager-sponsors tickets
go to everyone in the packager sponsors group, but I've only ever seen a
small fraction of them respond to any tickets. ;( I am not sure if thats
because they don't want to deal with sponsoring co-maintainers (the
current 'reason' to file a ticket there) or something else, but I worry
that it would just result in a big backlog of tickets there. :(

Additionally, I fear it would also leed to 'HI, make me a packager' type
tickets (with no other info). We could of course close those or ask for
more info, but then someone has to manage that.

> Apart from co-maintenance, the tracker is also important for the case where
> somebody wants to become a pacakger to rescue an orphaned package.

Well, in the past we have asked such folks to file a review request and
get the orphaned package re-reviewed.

To be clear, I'm happy to try and adjust things to make it simpiler as
long as we have buy in from sponsors that they would work with the new
process. :)

Thanks for the feedback... hopefully we can come out of this with a
newer better process.

kevin