On Sat, Jan 15, 2022, 6:57 PM Kevin Fenzi <ke...@scrye.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 02:14:19PM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> >
> > One of the things that has recently happened in the Koji space is the
> > addition of a kiwi-build task to build images using the KIWI tool[1].
> >
> > KIWI supports building all kinds of operating system images, including
> > OCI containers. The Fedora Cloud WG is poking at the idea of using
> > KIWI for the cloud image to replace the unmaintained and brittle
> > ImageFactory, and we could also look at doing container builds with
> > KIWI to replace the OpenShift Atomic Reactor system. That would
> > drastically simplify the architecture and make container image builds
> > considerably more reasonable for the Container SIG and any other
> > stakeholders.
>
> Yeah, thats quite interesting. I would be happy to move to a pipeline
> thats less fragile here. :)
>
> There's also talk about moving things to use ImageBuilder, but I don't
> think it does containers.

We can, and should, have RFEs for Image Builder to do containers.  I know
we need this internally as well.  It may farm that out to buildah in the
background or something, but that remains to be determined.

In the interest of commonality across the Fedora/CentOS/RHEL ecosystem, I
really think using Image Builder as the tool to build images is the best
approach.

josh