On 11/15/21 20:15, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RetireARMv7

> == Scope ==
>
> * Proposal owners: Work with rel-eng to disable the architecture in
> koji, remove all the various pungi pieces and clean up any other
> release detritus.
>
> * Other developers: No action required.
>
> * Release engineering: [https://pagure.io/releng/issue/10387 Releng
> issue #10387] Disable a bunch of stuff, it's really just one koji
> admin command and a PR for pungi config changes
>
> * Policies and guidelines: No initial updates to policies and
> guidelines as ARMv7 won't completely disappear until F-36 EOL.
>
> * Trademark approval: N/A (not needed for this Change)
>
> == Upgrade/compatibility impact ==
>
> Any current users of Fedora on ARMv7 devices won't be able to upgrade
> to Fedora 37, they will have to stay on Fedora 36 until it's EOL.

> == User Experience ==
> Any current users of Fedora on ARMv7 devices won't be able to upgrade
> to Fedora 37, they will have to stay on Fedora 36 until it's EOL.

I just tried to install Fedora on RPi, and I ended up on [1] where I
downloaded an image. That was unfortunately armv7 - and I needed to go
to [2] - which was not linked in the descriptions [3,4]. Also the wiki
lists first the armv7 [5]

As such I think there will be very many people being stuck on F36,
without a way to update to F37. I was not happy that my old RPi will not
work any more, but that we still push people towards a to be retired
version is very bad.

I think at least this needs to be taken into account, and the websites
should be fixed as soon as possible. Further, if this is possible, there
should be instructions to update from armv7 to aarch64, to make a direct
upgrade, rather than reinstall, possible.

tl;dr
1) mention that also aarch64 users are affect, if they run armv7
software, which seems quite likely
2) Change the websites, add deprecation info, and point to aarch64 pages
3) discuss impact on armv7 on aarch64 users

Cheers,
David

[1] https://arm.fedoraproject.org/
[2] https://alt.fedoraproject.org/alt/