On Mon, Mar 7, 2022 at 5:03 AM Gordon Messmer <gordon.mess...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I remember in the early days of deltarpm, it would frequently reduce the
> download size on my systems by 70-90%.  I know that some people disliked
> that it made updates slower, but I always thought that reducing the
> bandwidth costs at our mirrors was a laudable goal.  Good stewardship of
> resources, and all of that.

As with all else, "Your mileage WILL vary".  In my experience
(in a 1st world bandwidth world), the overheads of rebuilding
the rpm (using the delta rpm base on a slow (SD card) disk
on a slow (arm) system) far far far exceeded the reduced
download times.

One of the first things I did on a new install was remove
deltarpm, and add it to the global exclude list so it would
not get installed on a system/package upgrade.  It was a
pure win for my systems.  Obviously your experience will
vary.