On Mon, Mar 07, 2022 at 12:12:49PM -0500, Ben Cotton wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/EncourageI686LeafRemoval
> == Scope ==
>
> * Proposal owners:
>
> Proposal owners will provide convenience scripts for checking whether
> a given package is a leaf package on i686, and will help with
> identifying potential candidate packages.
>
> * Other developers:
>
> Package maintainers who are affected by 32-bit architecture / i686
> specific problems are encouraged to investigate dropping support for
> i686 entirely, instead of having to invest time to fix or work around
> those issues, for very little benefit to Fedora. This can be done
> incrementally, as dropping support for i686 from some packages will in
> turn make other packages leaves on i686.

What about the following instead:
- We start with a filter list that includes glibc, wine, and other
  packages which we know should be excluded.

- The script is run automatically and identifies a list of leaf packages.

- For packages which are leafs not on the filter list, a pull request
  is opened to add ExcludeArch: %{ix86}.

- If the pull request is merged, fine. If it is closed w/o merge, also
  fine. If the maintainer doesn't react in a week, the request is merged
  automically and the package built.

  Either way, the package is added to a filter list to not bother the
  maintainers again.

I think it should be possible to automatize steps 2–4. This way
we'll not need to wait for maintainers to add ExcludeArch manually.
Elsewhere in the thread people suggested that this would take forever
if manual steps are required, and I fear that this is a valid assesment.

Zbyszek