Hi,

Our most recent FESCo meeting involved discussing the proposal to drop i686
builds of jdk8,11,17 from Fedora 37 onward.  The topic quickly changed to the
larger question of "what do people use i686 packages for?"

Rather than guess, we wanted to ask the community what you use i686 packages
for in Fedora.  There are no wrong answers here.  We are seeking information.

Why?  Since the removal of the i686 kernel in Fedora, we want to reduce the
number of i686 packages provided in the repo.  As time marches on, the ability
to build a lot of things for i686 becomes unrealistic or even impossible.
Remember it goes beyond providing builds...providing support, bug fixes, and
security fixes for those packages too.  Maybe some things using i686 packages
now can move to x86_64 packages.  We do not know yet, but a goal is to figure
out what packages, if anything, can drop their i686 builds.

NOTE: Nothing is changing now.  We are in an information gathering phase.

If you use i686 packages for something now, please respond to this thread.

Thanks,

--
David Cantrell <dcantr...@redhat.com>
Red Hat, Inc. | Boston, MA | EST5EDT