Once upon a time, Adam Jackson <a...@redhat.com> said:
> - We lose network transparency!  Well, sure, the protocol doesn't have
> that directly.  You can still do vnc-like things trivially and with a

VNC-like remoting is a significant loss for server environments compared
to X-like remoting.

With an X-based GUI management tool on a server, you fire up an SSH (or
if you are old style you can even "xhost +foo", or manually copy magic
cookies) and run just the app on the server, exporting the display of
the app to your local system.  All the "heavy-lifting" runs on your
local system, not the server.  When you close the app, there's nothing
left running on the server.

If you have to use a VNC-like remoting, you have to run a desktop
environment on the server (at least some minimal thing).  You either
have to have it running all the time, or start it up on demand.  Then
you can log in to start your app.  When you shut down the app, you have
to remember to shut down the desktop environment as well.  This is much
more overhead on the server for an occasional use GUI app.

None of my servers even have any desktop-environment type stuff install.
In virtualized environments, making the servers run desktop stuff could
greatly increase the overhead.

--
Chris Adams <cmad...@hiwaay.net>