This is a “stub file” for type checking. It looks like upstream is trying to follow https://peps.python.org/pep-0484 rather than the later https://peps.python.org/pep-0561/. However, the way they are installing the stub file with data_files in setup.py is resulting in it getting dumped in %_prefix.

I think that installing the .pyi file alongside the compiled extension, i.e.:

    %install

    %py3_install

    mv %{buildroot}%{_prefix}/apsw.pyi %{buildroot}%{python3_sitearch}

…should achieve the desired effect of making the stubs available to type checkers.

Most upstreams that provide type stubs do so via package_data, so they are installed inside the Python package without any particular effort on the RPM packager’s part. That’s probably why nothing has been written about them in the guidelines.