On 3/31/22 5:38 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
Hey all,

Earlier this week, the Fedora Workstation WG discussed a ticket
brought to us asking for a GUI-based rescue/recovery environment[1].
While we all agreed in principle that such a thing would be a very
good thing to have, we don't really know how to achieve such a thing.
Additionally, we're not really sure what the scope of things should be
provided in said recovery environment and what kind of things people
would expect to be able to fix in there.

So I come to y'all to ask about this and give us some feedback on the
idea, how to do it, and what kinds of things you expect people to need
a recovery environment for.

[1]: https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/288

I am not sure about having a full graphics environment, but it would be nice to have the functionality of the server installers rescue mode, where the system try to create a system tree at /mnt/sysimage IIRC and allows you to run `chroot /mnt/sysimage` to enter it.

This is the most basic functionality I would like to have on a rescue image. This allow someone to try to fix a badly modified or updated file. Some people would like to have network connectivity from the CLI at least.

And at the same time to have an option to not have this rescue menu option on the boot menu, like if I remove something like the package fedora-rescue or something like that, it isn't present on the menu.

Of topic but related: I wish there was supported option to remove the current rescue kernel, and hopefully a way to automate old kernels removals when the latest kernel is successfully installed and confirmed working. On company managed workstations I have a timer that checks the install date of the latest installed kernel and after a few days it removes the old kernels (if the users haven't complained for days, we assume the kernel is right). This is to avoid users reverting to older kernels in order to use some privilege escalation vulnerability.