On Wed, 2022-04-06 at 21:03 -0500, Justin Forbes wrote:

> > > At the very least, it would require that Fedora have a separate key
> > > that is trusted and not the same one used for shim/grub/kernel.
> >
> > If Fedora is going to sign it, rather than improving the local signing
> > experience, absolutely it should be signed with a separate key. The
> > design should assume a revocation is going to happen at some point.
> >
> > > We
> > > certainly aren't proposing that we use the standard Fedora keys to
> > > sign a binary blob that runs in kernel space from a company who was
> > > most recently hacked last month?
> >
> > No way.
> >
> > I don't think there's a mechanism for it, but I'd prefer Fedora sign
> > the 3rd party's key rather than their binary. Maybe it's a small
> > distinction at the end of the day.
>

> We have not set up an infrastructure for it, but in all honesty, there
> is no technical reason that any 3rd party repository building and
> packaging the driver could not have done such a thing a couple of
> years ago.  The mechanism has been there, pesign can sign modules.
> Now, asking Fedora to trust that key is a different issue, but users
> have to reboot after installing the nvidia drivers anyway, so clicking
> to accept the key isn't too much of a hurdle to jump through at that
> point.

There is potentially an even easier solution.
Ideally dkms (or whatever) could simply generate a key, sign the module
and manage to get the public key in the right place so that the module
can be verified. But this is hard work I guess, and nobody cares about
Secure Boot enough to do it?

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce