On 4/8/22 12:16, Petr Pisar wrote:
V Thu, Apr 07, 2022 at 12:13:42PM -0400, Ben Cotton napsal(a):
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RPM-4.18

== Summary ==
Update RPM to the [https://rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.18.0 4.18] release.
[...]
* New `%conf` spec section for build configuration

RPM documenation reads:

        In %conf, the unpacked sources are configured for building.

        Different build- and language ecosystems come with their own helper
macros,
        but rpm has helpers for autotools based builds such as itself which
        typically look like this:

        %conf
        %configure

In context of autotools, sources usually bundle a configure script. To follow
the open source way (and ensure portability to new platform and include
autotools fixes), building from the real sources is desired. Hence I do my
best to call "autoreconf -fi" before %configure.

Where should autoreconf be placed? %pre or %conf?

     %prep               %prep
     %autosetup          %autosetup
                         autoreconf -fi
%conf %conf
     autoreconf -fi      %configure
     %configure

     %build              %build
     %make_build         %make_build

Please bear in mind that %prep usually contains other non-declarative twists
like pruning bundled code, correcting file permissions etc.

My personal opinion is that autoreconf, where used, belongs to %prep because it can quite literally install bits required by the build system.

It's also something you only run once after unpacking the sources, not every time you configure. Which suggests that they should be in different sections. The same logic is applicable to other related steps.

        - Panu -