On Mo, 11.04.22 02:34, Chris Murphy (li...@colorremedies.com) wrote:

> > > OK, I'll bite.
> > >
> > > What are you missing in sd-boot, specifically?
> > >
> > > Also, why would a boot menu need a particularly fancy user experience?
> > > It's a boot manager, not a web browser.
> >
> > "barebones crappy one" is pretty strong. I'm too am interested in
> > hearing what is so wrong with the sd-boot experience.
>
> The problem with systemd-boot is it still has an interface. I prefer
> no interface for bootloaders.

Too much for some, too little for others ;-)

The UI it has is by default turned off and you only get it if you hold
shift down or so at boot.

I mean, we do need some logic how you can pick an older kernel/edit
kernel cmdline for debugging/recovery/testing reasons. And that's
exactly what we offer, but not much more.

(And of course, you can hold W down to boot windows. But booting into
windows on dual-boot systems should actually move into gdm or so, we
provide all the basic building blocks to make this nice, except the UI
for it is actually missing).

> I'm a bit frustrated that systemd-boot isn't signed, and apparently (I
> guess) shim hard codes GRUB as the next bootloader?

That's mostly a political issue.

(We actually have some support in sd-boot to be installed inder the
"grubx64.efi" name, to work around this political mess...)

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin