Hi,

It is quite common, to have some sources, which are not available as a tarball from upstream. In case of rubygem- packages, they quite often do not ship their test suites. In this case, our .spec file contains something like [1]:

~~~

# Tests are not packaged with the gem. You may get them like so:
# git clone --no-checkout https://github.com/discourse/mini_mime
# git -C mini_mime archive -v -o mini_mime-1.1.0-test.txz v1.1.0 test
Source1: %{gem_name}-%{version}-test.txz

~~~

This is quite fine. However, if there is opened PR [2], the CI would work only as long sources are in the look a side cache, which is not always desirable, because this might be just some WIP.

I while ago, I proposed [3] this "executable" comments instead:

~~~

 Source1: %{gem_name}-%{version}-test.txz
%{echo:%(
[ ! -e %{S:1} ] &&
  rm -rf %{name} &&
  git clone https://github.com/discourse/mini_mime %{name} &&
  git -C %{name} archive -v -o %{S:1} v%{version} test/
)}

~~~

I know, that some may say "it won't work in Koji", that is true, but won't necessarily be issue for CI. The other argument might be "it is creating some random tarball from random source", but if the accompanied `sources` file contains the right checksums, `fedpkg srpm` ensures that only the tarballs with the right content is used.

While others might just handwavy upload the random sources into look a side cache, I think this is way better approach.

Now I am looking for feedback about general approach. Of course it could be somehow polished and improved to hide some boiler plate.

Vít

[1]: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/rubygem-mini_mime/blob/c25611d64d17c374aa274391784ab9ff5fe00da8/f/rubygem-mini_mime.spec#_14

[2]: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/rubygem-mini_mime/pull-request/2

[3]: https://pagure.io/packaging-committee/issue/1132#comment-769233