On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 12:33 PM jiri vanek <jva...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Neal!
>
> We are participating on Wakefield too. Why do you think JDK in feora should
> miss it ?
> It does nto metter if it is static or dynamic one, it will just run correctly
> under wayaland. Or do I miss something?

The runtime libraries for integrating into Wayland are evolving at a
fast pace. Moreover, if you build only once on the oldest distribution
and tag up, it becomes even more difficult to take advantage of
improvements to Wayland components in the distribution. My gut feeling
is that changing OpenJDK to not rely on system libraries will make
this considerably harder because we will have to wait for upstream to
sync up and then pull it down. Additionally, depending on what their
CI target is, it may wind up being even more difficult because older
distributions *cannot* build some newer libraries because of missing
build or runtime components.

I've been dealing with that enough with KDE Plasma in Fedora and EPEL
that I'm concerned we'd be in trouble with Wakefield on Fedora with
this proposal.