On Sun, Jun 05, 2022 at 08:02:21AM +0000, Mattia Verga via devel wrote:

> Il 05/06/22 09:37, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel ha scritto:
> > On 04/06/2022 22:43, Otto Urpelainen wrote:
> >> But the question is, what needs to be done so that ffmpeg-free will not
> >> suffer, either.
> > ffmpeg-free is a special stripped version. Popular codecs H.264 and
> > H.265 were removed due to the legal reasons. You should always use the
> > fully featured version from the RPM Fusion repository.
> >
> > --
> > Sincerely,
> >     Vitaly Zaitsev (vit...@easycoding.org)
>
> **Rant mode on**
> so, the whole purpose of Fedora is to have a fully free software linux
> distribution...

There's nothing non-free about ffmpeg (or even h.264).  It's certain
countries' attitudes to software patents which cause the problems here.

> but we can't accomplish that in a working way, then we
> came out with all sort of workarounds to get things working (COPR,
> rpmfusion, flathub...).
>
> We should really start thinking about this.

This is conflating other stuff (some bad).  I'm not sure there's much
to think about here, except to work towards getting rid of overbroad
software patents.

Rich.