Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski writes:

 > I guess it could be fixed with a clean-room reimplementation of the
 > stripped parts of FDK-AAC.

Clean-room reimplementation negates the very applicability of any
pre-existing *copyright* to your work.  It does not affect applicability
of pre-existing *patents* to your work.  The court is only going to look
at your "device", and if it's covered by a claim of the patent, you
lose.

Opinion: I think people should stop complaining about Fedora Legal,
because in every instance I have heard about where Fedora's
interpretation of IP law differs from the FSF's, Fedora has been more
aggressive/liberal (it allows more stuff in Fedora than the FSF
would).  ISTM they're doing the best they can to provide the most
software without embroiling Fedora, Red Hat, and their downstreams in
legal trouble.

Complain about IP in software, fine, of course!

Steve