On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 09:09:30PM +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've recently seen a package that was imported into Fedora without a package
> review. I've noticed this because the packages doesn't even install and I
> wanted to check if this could have been caught in the package review but I
> couldn't find it, so I've checked the fedora-scm-requests ticket.
>
> The ticket at fedora-scm-requests was created with exception=true. I am not
> going to link to it, because I am not here to point fingers. I am just
> genuinely curious.
>
> According to
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/ReviewGuidelines/#_package_review_process
> we have 3 kinds of exceptions:
>
> - FPC grants an explicit exemption from the process...
> - The package is being created so that multiple versions of the same package
> can coexist in the distribution...
> - The package exists in both Fedora and RHEL, but the packager wants to ship
> it in EPEL under an alternative name...
>
> In those cases, the packager requests the repo with --exception, makes sense.
>
> However, who checks if the flag was used according to the rules? Because
> apparently, is seems that nobody does. Is it expected that we are all
> responsible people who would not abuse this simply to avoid package reviews?

The scm admin processing the request should check it. :(

Perhaps this was simply missed and/or perhaps the tool could be better
about showing when a ticket is an exception. ;(

Do note that we are working on automating most of this away.
If/when that happens the exceptions would then be... exceptions.
(ie, the automation would refuse to process them and ask a human to do
so, unless we can come up with a way to check these cases in an
unattended way).

kevin