On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 02:00:03PM +0200, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> On 18/06/2022 13:47, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > So it sounds like the suffix is used for the purpose I guessed.  Why
> > not let any packager use a descriptive suffix (without pre-approval)?
>
> +1. I like this idea.

well, I think several reasons:

First, I don't think that was available when we enabled side tags, so we
just never looked too closely at doing so.

But most importantly, I'm not sure it really conveys too much useful
information. I mean you could call a tag:

f37-side-NNNNNN-ocaml

but is that a mass rebuild? A small set of deps?
What if someone else is rebuilding some small subset of ocaml packages
and calls there tag:

f37-side-XXXXXX-ocaml

Which one is for what?

But I suppose it does give a slight bit more information and let you
know to look at a sidetag for something.

Can you file a infrastructure ticket on it and we can look at getting it
enabled?

Thanks,

kevin