On Sa, 25.06.22 20:43, Neal Gompa (ngomp...@gmail.com) wrote:

> > It’s necessary for secure boot to actually be meaningful in
> > practice.  I expect that people who care about secure boot
> > will want this.
>
> I don't. I only care about secure boot enough to bootstrap a Free
> platform. Secure Boot is generally not designed as a tool to provide
> security unless you rip out all the certs and use your own
> exclusively. At that point, you can do whatever you want.

This is FUD. Of course SecureBoot can improve security, if you make
proper use of it, as it provides some level of offline security,
i.e. that you can leave your laptop unsupervised for a minute and make
it for attackers a lot harder to backdoor the boot process.

So far Linux distros didn't use it for that though — what was actually
implemented was the bare minimum to make systems behave as before, not
taking benefit of any of the real security benefits it offers.

And yes, if all you want is the status quo ante then SecureBoot is just a
PITA. But maybe in IT security landscape of 2022 we shouldn't build
systems anymore the way we built them in 1990, but make things harder
to backdoor. And SecureBoot helps you with that — if one actually
makes proper use of it.

Or in other words: the fact that initrds are not signed on Linux
distros defeats the whole point of SecureBoot, but unsigned initrds is
not an inherent idea of SecureBoot, but just a misfeature of Linux
distros, and is what we should actually fix.

> Most PCs are poorly designed to handle doing this procedure, and it's
> too easy to accidentally break the computer entirely by doing so. It's
> just not worth it.

What you are writing above is about as smart as saying that signed RPM
packages are bad because they make it a bit harder to enroll your own
RPM signing key to install your own signed packages...

Signing and authenticating the code is a good thing to protect
systems – it's a good thing if we can do so for the boot code too as
we boot.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin