I don’t think we should be gatekeeping who can propose or discuss a Change. I do think that the opinions of the upstream and downstream GCC maintainers should be weighed quite heavily when considering a change to the default compiler flags.

As a FESCo member, I’m waiting to see if the Change owners can present broadly convincing benchmarks to characterize the full performance impact of the proposal. I’m also paying close attention to the (so far mostly negative) input from the GCC team and others that I recognize as experts on toolchains, glibc, and optimization.

– Ben Beasley