On 7/11/22 10:05, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2022 at 09:36, Petr Menšík <pemen...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Do we have any notification alternative interface other than IRC? What
>> about pushing notifications to matrix, XMPP or other protocol/service?
>>
>> I think IRC has often also not-so-short delays. Is there something we
>> can to to improve the situation?
>>

> At this point the code using FMN is getting rewritten and any additional
> notifications will need to be in that rewrite. That said, IRC is actually
> one of the fastest ones we can push to. Each additional service adds in
> slowdowns as the communication requires accounts, special routers, people
> who actually use those services to know how they work, and various other
> infrastructure with the only return being a ton of complaints when there is
> any problem in them.
>
> Every person who uses notifications is an endpoint who has to be 'polled'
> by that notification, and there can be a lot of overhead in doing so even
> when people think of it as a fire-and-forget-bus. Every failed or slow or
> bad end-point slows down the entire system which grows over time. Email
> delivery problems from mailing lists are generally caused by the N hundred
> developers who decided they needed every notification as an email and have
> clogged up the outgoing queues because every mail system decides that a
> mass rebuild is a spam attack. The same goes with other systems (IRC, etc)
> where a large number of notifications do not look much different from a
> DOS.
>
> While notifications is a great idea, it is also a hard problem. Please help
> the team who will be working on it.

In the case of email, is it possible to offload everything to a mail
server like Postfix?  That should be able to deal with a huge queue
without too many problems and without Fedora needing to write email
handling code.  Just send the email to the mail server and let the
mail server deal with delivery.

For other services, one option would be a language
(Erlang? Elixir?) designed for very high levels of concurrency and
reliability.  That might be a better choice than Python.
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)