On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 11:48 AM Maxwell G <gotmax@e.email> wrote:
> I'm replying as a member of the go-sig, as the primary maintainer is pretty
> busy lately.
>
> At least 289 source packages (recursively) BuildRequire
> golang-github-google-cel-devel[1]. Some of these packages only provide
> `-devel` subpackages that should've been included in the above query, but
> there are likely also some that provide binaries that could be used by other
> packages (go or otherwise; runtime and/or buildtime). The dependents of those
> packages aren't included in the count above. I am
> working on querying for those packages and asking maintainers to remove the
> leaves.
>
> The go-sig is also considering entirely removing go stack from i686, but
> we have not made a lot of progress yet. My preference would be to wait
> to remove all go packages from there by removing %ix86 from
> %golang_arches instead of adding `ExcludeArch: %ix86` to just the golang
> packages that need golang-antlr4-runtime-devel. Non go packages can probably
> be `ExcludeArch`ed first.
>
> Please do not remove golang-antlr4-runtime-devel until we've dealt with
> at least the packages affected by removing this one. I understand that this
> probably
> isn't the answer you want to hear. We are in a similar situation; we'd like to
> remove the go stack from i686, as it adds extra maintenance burden, but
> there are other packages that depend on go stuff that need to be dealt with
> first (and some go packages that don't follow the packaging guidelines and
> are missing ExclusiveArch: %{golang_arches}`).
>
> [1]: sudo dnf repoquery --repo=rawhide{,-source} --recursive --whatrequires |
> grep '\.src$' | pkgname | sort | uniq

I'm afraid that I already removed i686 support from antlr4-project
last night.  In any case, it wouldn't have done you any good if I
hadn't, as the antlr4 package would have been uninstallable on i686
due to the lack of a JDK.  And even if you had suppressed that
BuildRequires on i686, it still wouldn't have done you any good,
because then you would have had a parser that didn't match its
runtime, causing it to break if you tried to actually run the code.

There were no good options, so I chose the one that seemed least
harmful to me.  The golang stack would have been broken no matter
what.  I don't think anybody realized that would be a consequence of
dropping the i686 JDKs, but here we are.
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/