On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 10:39 AM Petr Pisar <ppi...@redhat.com> wrote:

> V Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 08:16:00PM +0200, Iñaki Ucar napsal(a):
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We have a new R version sitting on a side tag (f37-build-side-55653)
> > for a few weeks now, where packages are being rebuilt as time permits.
> > Unfortunately, F37 is not rawhide anymore, so the question is whether
> > this side tag could be safely merged both in F37 and rawhide when it
> > is ready.
> >
> I think you can tag any package anywhere. Therefore should be possible to get
> the same build into both Fedoras.
>
> However, it could be unsafe (e.g. a change in C toolchain to distribution
> macros). To mitigate it I think you can rebuild the packages in a F38 side tag
> without additional commits. Just follow the order which was used in F37 side
> tag. The commits exist both in F37 and F38 git branches. F38 builds will get
> unique release strings due to differing %dist tag.

When I was in a similar situation around the F37 branch point, releng
told me that while it would be *possible* for them to tag builds into
f38, it is possibly ill-advisable, for some of the reasons Petr
mentioned here, but also, the packages will get signed with the f37
key and not the f38 key, which will create another set of problems
down the line.

Iñaki, do you have a list of packages that still needs to be rebuilt for f37?
I have provenpackager rights and could handle those builds for you, if
you give me

- name of the side tag
- packages that still need to be rebuilt
- which order they need to be built in (or at least how to determine an order)
- what changelog message / commit message to use for the dist-git commits

And for rawhide / f38, I'd need the same, but the list of *all*
packages that need to be built, not only the ones that are still
missing from f38.
I'll probably write a short script to handle the actual task and let
it run in the background today.

Sorry for not volunteering earlier, but I'm already at my limits wrt/
time I can spend on Fedora.

Fabio