Once upon a time, Peter Robinson <pbrobin...@gmail.com> said:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 8:07 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanz...@gnome.org>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 25 2022 at 02:45:31 PM -0400, Neal Gompa
> > <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > We should remove rsyslog from @standard.
> >
> > Packages in @standard but not in @workstation-product:
> >
> > at
> > crontabs
> > dbus
> > ed (no, really)
> > fprintd-pam
> > irqbalance
> > rsyslog
> > smartmontools
> > util-linux-user
> >
> > Seems like if we remove a few things from @standard, we could have
> > Workstation use @standard and then @workstation-product would just need
> > to include extra stuff instead of duplicating most of @standard.
>
> Yes please, I think this is a useful reduction across all desktop
> environments.

I don't run @workstation, so maybe there are replacements, but a few are
commonly useful:

- fprintd-pam: used for fingerprint login
- smartmontools: monitors hard disk health
- util-linux-user: chsh (used to change shell) and chfn

I'm not sure why those last two utilities merit a separate package; it's
not a size thing (the installed size is 61kB), it doesn't look like they
add any dependencies over the util-linux package.

dbus is a virtual package now for dbus-broker, so don't know if it is
needed in any setup directly.

IIRC ed was in default installs for a long time because it's part of the
POSIX spec.

I thought that irqbalance was obsoleted at some point by in-kernel
tuning, but I haven't dug deeply.  If not, it should probably be
installed just about everywhere (at least on physical systems), since
almost all CPUs are multi-core now.

I personally like rsyslog for traditional logs for some things, as its
easier to portion out limited access (for example, on some servers I
might make DHCP or mail logs readable by non-root users in a particular
group), but that's a niche usage and I don't care whether it is in
default installs.

--
Chris Adams <li...@cmadams.net>