On Thu, Sep 1, 2022 at 8:51 AM Dan Čermák
<dan.cer...@cgc-instruments.com> wrote:

> Casey Jao via devel <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> writes:
>
> > Old rpm-ostree thread about this:
> > https://github.com/coreos/rpm-ostree/issues/1127
> >
> > 1. Debian provides a comparably sized package catalog using one-tenth the
> > size of Fedora's metadata. Are there any lessons that Fedora can learn from
> > Debian?
> > 2. Does SUSE have the same problem?
>
> No, I don't think so. openSUSE and SUSE use zypper + libzypp instead of
> dnf and iirc zypper is lighter on memory usage (but lacks the more "fancy"
> features like `dnf repoquery`).
>
> Also, the openSUSE Tumbleweed repository is smaller than the Fedora
> repository (and only contains the latest rebuilds, i.e. even less
> metadata). I am not 100% sure about Leap though, as I have heard horror
> stories about the size of the Leap Update repository size (the
> repository contains every package build for the whole release)…

Zypper is affected too, because the problem is at the libsolv level.
However, it's harder for Zypper to hit it because there are fewer
cases where all the metadata files need to be loaded and SUSE
distribution repos are generally smaller (for reasons I don't want to
get into here).

DNF5 will improve the situation by only loading some metadata into the
solver on-demand as it determines it is needed.