Dne 07. 09. 22 v 19:41 Stephen Gallagher napsal(a):
On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 1:32 PM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 12:45 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 9:03 AM Neal Gompa <ngomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 2:49 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel
<devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
On 06/09/2022 20:28, Ben Cotton wrote:
We will be creating the packages nodejs-16, nodejs-18 and (in April)
nodejs-20. These packages will be parallel-installable (with the
exception of the -devel subpackages) and provide
`/usr/bin/node-$MAJOR`. We will also take advantage of the
`alternatives` subsystem to populate `/usr/bin/node` from the default
Node.js version for that release, or if the default is not installed,
What about Fedora ostree variants?

The last time I asked about alternatives, I got an answer that it is a
completely NO GO for immutable Fedora releases.

That's one of the reasons why I'd prefer us to use a package to do it.

Each nodejs package could have a subpackage
nodejs<vermajor>-unversioned-command, which has the following stanzas:

Provides: nodejs-unversioned-command
Conflicts: nodejs-unversioned-command

And the default nodejs would have a "Requires:
nodejs-unversioned-command" with a Suggests on the versioned package.
OK, this is new information for me. I'll have to ruminate on it.

As for OSTree, it sounds like the main problem is due to
`update_alternatives` using `/var/lib/alternatives` for internal data.
I may take a look and see how hard it would be to move that to
`/etc/alternatives/state`.
The openSUSE folks wrote an alternative alternatives implementation
called libalternatives that is likely to be rpm-ostree compatible. It
works differently from regular alternatives, and I've got a package in
copr for it[1].
On both my Silverblue main system and Fedora IoT RPi system,
/var/lib/alternatives is actually a symlink to
../../usr/lib/alternatives

I think that means that the alternatives system "works" but the user
cannot change it. Maybe we can ask for that to move to
../../etc/alternatives/state instead?

It might be worth exploring for this...

That said, I don't think alternatives makes sense for this case.

[1]: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/ngompa/alts/build/4815991/

Moving this conversation from nod...@lists.fp.o to fedora-devel so
we're not having the same discussion in two places... hopefully.