FWIW (probably not much), I have run into an issue with regard to the default
journal size being too large on Fedora Server when running a bunch of
systemd-nspawn containers each with sshd and fail2ban enabled. When I reboot a
bunch of the containers at once (or the whole hypervisor), fail2ban really
seemed to bog things down and use a lot of CPU time (re)scanning the journals
for failed ssh attempts to (re)ban the IP addresses. In my case, I worked
around the issue with the following. The real problem might be with my fail2ban
configuration or something else. But it might be something to consider when
thinking about what would be a good size/time limit for the journal.

# cat /etc/systemd/system/fail2ban.service.d/override.conf
[Service]
ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/journalctl --vacuum-time=1months