> On 29 Sep 2022, at 12:52, Tommy Nguyen <remya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 29, 2022, at 7:36 AM, Kevin Kofler via devel
>> <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>
>> Neal Gompa wrote:
>>> Unfortunately, we have to be very careful to not provide a complete
>>> codepath to these codecs to avoid legal risks.
>>
>> Considering that we have been shipping these hardware codec interfaces for
>> years without any legal trouble, I find this absolutely ridiculous.
>>
>>       Kevin Kofler
>> Do not reply to spam, report it:
>> https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/new_issue
>
> Lack of legal action is not evidence of no further legal action. There are
> multiple possible explanations:
>
> - they see no point because going after distros would waste time and money
> and bring bad PR
> - going after Redhat who would assume liability is a different story as
> they’re a Fortune 500 company
> - they or some other company (through merger or acquisition) may suddenly
> decide to patent troll

For a really nasty explanation:

- Red Hat would fight back, so they’re only going after downstream distributors
who won’t fight back, and as part of settling, you sign an NDA so that upstream
Fedora (us!) never finds out that downstream distributors are being shaken down
for money.

This would imply that there’s been lots of legal trouble, we’ve just never
heard of it.
—
Simon Farnsworth