On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 10:51:55AM +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-09-29 at 08:26 +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:

> > > systemd-devel no longer has systemd dependency on F37+, now we also
> > > need BuildRequires: systemd
> >
> > I don't expect clamav needs systemd to build. It probably needs
> > systemd-devel and systemd-rpm-macros.
> >
> > It is true that systemd-devel used to pull in systemd. It was
> > something
> > of an accident: systemd-devel had an artificial dependency on
> > systemd-pam,
> > which in turn had a dependency on systemd. The artificial dep was
> > added
> > to make system-pam a multiarch package. At some point this was solved
> > properly
> > and and hack was dropped. I don't think we want systemd-devel to
> > R:systemd.
> > systemd-devel is about various headers and libraries, and the systemd
> > runtime is a separate thing.
> >
> > I now pushed a commit to add in systemd-devel:
> >
> >   Requires(meta): (%{name}-rpm-macros = %{version}-%{release} if rpm-
> > build)
> >
> > This means we'll get systemd-rpm-macros in rpm buildroot if systemd-
> > devel
> > is installed. We had the same line on systemd itself. This way one
> > doesn't
> > need to explicitly BR:systemd-rpm-macros is either BR:systemd or
> > BR:systemd-devel
> > is specified.
>
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/clamav/c/35d73944ae2fa9cee3df4729c53a66ba03595d7f
> "Add missing dependency on systemd as it's the systemd package itself
> that ships systemd.pc, not systemd-devel."
>
> because clamav runs  `pkg-config --variable=systemdsystemunitdir
> systemd` which needs /usr/share/pkgconfig/systemd.pc

Ah, OK. Thanks for the correction. In this case, it's fine for clamav
to BR:systemd.

An alternative approach would be to use rpm macros instead of pkg-config:
%_unitdir gives the same string.

> and /usr/share/pkgconfig/systemd.pc is systemd (core) sub-package ,
> maybe I would suggest move /usr/share/pkgconfig/systemd.pc and
> /usr/share/pkgconfig/udev.pc to devel sub-package

That'd cause too much confusion. systemd-devel has libsystemd.pc already,
and -devel is about libraries. We had the rule that 'pkgconfig(systemd)'
gives you full systemd package, and I think we should not change that.

Zbyszek