> So, coming back to the steps needed for this to happen as discussed in the
> FESCo ticket, I
> think the first one is to decide how users can start testing dnf5 on
> "expendable" machines.
>
> The proposal says that dnf5 can be installed in parallel with dnf. I think
> this
> doesn't highlight what things will be broken, as tools will still use dnf.
> Also,
> @zbysek asked in the FESCo ticket what data from the RPM database is shared
> between the
> two, but didn't receive a reply: say, as a user, I install dnf5 in parallel
> with dnf,
> will I be able to "dnf install foo" and then "dnf5 uninstall foo"?

Thank you for pointing it out. I will provide additional information in both
Fedora proposals (replacement of DNF
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ReplaceDnfWithDnf5#Scope and microdnf
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/MajorUpgradeOfMicrodnf#Scope). Using DNF
and DNF5 in parallel to manage your system is safe. Both packagers will see
content modification correctly, but they will not have not additional
information to performed transaction. The situation will be the sile like when
you do operation using RPM directly.

> For those two things I wrote above, if in the end dnf5 will be renamed back
> as dnf to be a
> drop in replacement, wouldn't be better to have dnf5 obsolete dnf starting
> from now? I
> don't think anyone is going to test it on a production machine anyway...
>
> Mattia

There is no plan to rename DNF5 to DNF. Our team already shipped YUM as DNF and
we discovered that it is not good idea. DNF5 upstream is not going to repeat
the same mistake.

Jaroslav