On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 09:22:23AM +0200, Vitaly Zaitsev via devel wrote:
> I don't think that persistence by default is a good idea, because
> modern USB-flash drives are very unreliable and don't have a
> wear-cell balancer, so it will wear out very quickly for some
> frequently modified files.

Yeah — lots of very-low-quality flash drives out there. Ran into this just
trying to get decent ones for give-away swag.

I expect this to get worse and worse, as more and more people just use
dropbox and other cloud storage for file transfer and random storage. Once
again we're increasingly a niche case.

(It is, on the other hand, easier and easier to get really good MicroSD
cards for relatively cheap. SanDisk High Endurance for ten bucks. But not
quite cheap enough for giveways. Maybe the giveway item should be a branded
card reader...)

--
Matthew Miller
<mat...@fedoraproject.org>