On Sun, 2010-11-21 at 11:22 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Till Maas wrote:
> > I did not write that testing is a waste of time. But begging to get
> > updates tested is. Also it is imho for each maintainer to maintain lots
> > of test machines (e.g. there are four Fedora "releases": F12, F13, F14
> > and Rawhide and two primary archs, making it 8 machines) even if they do
> > not have the time to perform regular testing, but spend their FOSS time
> > more on development or packaging. For dedicated testers it is different,
> > e.g. if they regularly use their testing machines, it makes more sense
> > to maintain them.
>
> Yeah, there's no way I can have more than 2 installations of Fedora running,
> both on production machines, and often on the same Fedora release. I just
> don't have the time to maintain test environments, I'd rather maintain
> actual code and/or packages!

How do you expect to be able to maintain an entire desktop environment
on a distribution you don't even have installed? I have some sympathy
for the 'fifty people said it works on F14, it probably works on F12
too' argument, but for a *small, leaf* package, not for an entire
desktop environment! If I were a KDE user running F12 I'd feel very
unsafe knowing someone was happily pushing updates of the entire
environment who did not even have a running F12 machine.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey