On Mon, Oct 24, 2022 at 1:19 PM Jan Staněk <jsta...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Jun,
>
> "Jun Aruga (he / him)" <jar...@redhat.com> writes:
> > Do you have a plan to create the RPM package for wasi-sdk[1]?
>
> Not really, since we already (almost) have it available :)
>
> The wasi-sdk consists of llvm toolchain (clang & friends) compiled so
> that it can emit WASM code, and the wasi-libc, which implements standard
> C library atop WebAssembly System Interface "syscalls".
>
> Fedora's clang is already capable of emitting wasm
> (`clang --target=wasm32-wasi -nostdlib …` works), so I see no need to
> package it again. The thing we are missing is the wasi-libc,
> which I aimed to package.
>
> In other words, packaging wasi-sdk seems redundant to me
> – you would have to maintain separate version of clang,
> while the Fedora one is already able to compile what you need.
> We still need the C lib.
>
> Unfortunately, recent NodeJS releases had me occupied pretty much entirely,
> so I was unable to work on this.
> I hope I can get back to it this week. Fingers crossed.

Hi Jan,
Thanks for sharing the info.
I understand that when the clang supports the WASI (wasm32-wasi)
target, we don't need to build wasi-sdk or use the wasi-sdk RPM
package. It's just redundant.
Our encouraged way to use WebAssembly from Ruby can be to build the
Ruby source with the `clang --target=wasm32-wasi -nostdlib …` without
using the Ruby RPM.

> > But I
> > feel it takes more than 60 minutes, and is still in progress.
> > I wonder how other program languages supporting WebAssembly manage
> > this situation.
>
> Yeah, building entire compiler toolchain takes a while :)
>
> I had a COPR of the WIP wasi-sdk, but I set it to expire automatically,
> so it is currently not available. I'll try to spin in back up today
> and send you a link, in case you want to start testing the Ruby stuff
> with it already.
>
> Have a nice day!

As I see building Ruby with the WASI (wasm32-wasi) target on clang (or
wasi-sdk) is exclusive with the current normal built Ruby on GCC in
the Ruby RPM. I have no plan to include the WASI target build in the
current Ruby RPM package. I have already tested the Ruby built from
source with the wasi-sdk. That's ok for now. I don't need additional
tests for now. Thanks.

--
Jun | He - Him | Timezone: UTC+1 or 2, Czech Republic
See <https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/czech-republic-prague-to-utc> for